Requires JSU 2.0+
In every organization, a budget approval process is required. This process usually follows some rules, that budgets over a certain amount need approval by the management. Lower budgets don't need explicit approval.
- With JSU you can configure, that the workflow will transition automatically to the correct status. Have a look at the diagram below.
After the user submits the budget (JSU does make the field Budget mandatory (step 1.) ), JSU will continue from the Decision status and automatically forward the process to the correct status (step 2.), depending on the business rules in place: Budget <= 1'000 (step 3a.) OR Budget > 1'000 (step 3b.) .
Check out the demo video further below to see all this in action.
Some more automation we've set up in this workflow:
- When the workflow goes to 'To be approved' it will be assigned to the approver. (Step 4.)
- JSU will automatically create a sub-task for each item on the budget list of the main issue. (Step 5a. / 5b.)
- When the main issue is closed, all sub-tasks will be closed by JSU. (Step 6a. / 6b.)
With JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows, this is easy to implement but still very efficient and powerful.
How to configure this workflow
- Add the Fields Required validator to validate the field. In this scenario, the issue must have a required custom field, e.g. "Budget" in the Set Budget transition.
- Add the JSU Post Function Follow Up Transition in the "Set Budget" Transition to follow up next transition.
The post function will evaluate the workflow conditions of all the next transitions on the target status of the current transition.
If exactly one condition is valid, that transition will be triggered as a "follow up" transition.
- Here, two different Value Field Conditions for different transitions:
- If Budget <= 1000, "Approved"
- If Budget > 1000, "To Be Approved"
We have carefully set these conditions, that always exactly one condition is valid. Like this, the Follow Up Transition will always trigger one of these two transitions. The workflow will never be stuck at the Decision status.
- Add the JSU post function Copy Value Field in the "To Be Approve" transition.
Here Approver (set at the beginning of the process) is copied into Assignee field. Now, Approver can either "approve" or "reject" the story.
- Create a Linked Issue post function is used to create sub-tasks for each item which are part of the budget.
- Create Sub-task based on the items for which budget approved. One Sub-task for each item.
- Create Sub-task based on the items for which approval required. One Sub-task for each item.
- Linked Transition post function is used to close all the sub-tasks.
These are just some of the possible configurations that you can do with JSU's workflow modules.
See also the app documentation for some more examples and configuration screenshots.
Need more Information or help? Get in touch!
Watch this video to see all of this in action: